Who was Daisy Squelch and what was she famous for? Why did the Bean Brothers Brass Band have a rumble with James Walker’s Band in York and what did politics have to do with it? What is it about contesting and drinking? And how does the women’s suffrage movement link with banding? This week’s All That Brass delves into the lively history of brass bands in York and further afield – and there’s plenty of music too, from classics to Cuban and from sunshine soul to jazz trad and street in All That Brass, 8.00-9.00pm with Kate Lock.
This coming Monday on The Poetry Show: FRIENDS, followed by Stairwell Books Presents: A NEW DAWN for The Poetry Show! plus news about launch events.
The Poetry Show is about poems for everyone: it’s not that stuff you learned in school. This is a podcast that aims to bring poems and poetic discussion to people who love poetry, to those of you who just aren’t all that sure, and to poetry novices…and maybe we can inspire you to try a poem for yourself. A word of warning: we might use a coupla edgy words. We’re kinda PG 13.
Every week, we will discuss a theme, and look at how four very different poets work with the theme to create a poem… Hopefully something for everyone! So we’ll each do a poem, and we’ll chat about that poem and move on to the next.
This episode has Rose, Alan, Becca Miles and special guest Kit Marshall! Today’s show is hopeful and positive. It’s about FRIENDS.
Is this where I break into James Taylor? Don’t we all need friends? Do YOU need friends? Or are they a necessary evil?
Are you the life of the party, or the one hunched over in the corner, talking to the house cat?
Do you have 5,972 close Facebook friends? or are you happily alone?
What does the word ‘FRIEND’ mean to you?
My poems about ‘friends’ were mostly written ages ago, so these are short, old poems. Kind of like me. Tune in to hear what Becca, Alan and Kit have to say about Friends.
* ~ * ~ *
Following our broadcast of S2.1 “Friends”, Alan, Rose and Becca will chat about Big Poetry Show news (Yay!!), Staxtonbury, and upcoming launches. Launch events include David Lee Morgan’s music and poetry event in Sheffield on May 17 at DINA Café, with, first, his visit on May 16 to York open mic BeSpeak (Black Swan, 7.30pm, free). Check out David poeticizing here:
And tune in: tworiversradio.stream
Hello hello hello!! Great 11 hours of #communityradio and some fantastic music shows ahead of us!
By the people of York, for the people of York, in the heart of York!
- Midday – 1pm – #thelunchtimerush with Declan Minskip
Cheerful good music selection!
- 1 – 2pm – The Poetry Show & Stairwell Books Presents…
This Monday on The Poetry Show: FRIENDS, followed by Stairwell Books Presents: A NEW DAWN for The Poetry Show!
+ news about launch events.
- 2 – 3pm – It is the LGBT Hour with Jake Furby.
- 3 – 4pm – This hour is currently vacant so it’ll be a pick ‘n mix.
If you would like to present/produce your own show,
please contact: email@example.com
- 4 – 6pm – Mr. Judge To You; Bank Holiday Special…. featuring York’s Open Mic/ Acoustic Night Legend Chris Barnes, and Mr. Judge himself with live (and unlive) holiday musical offerings for your delicate sunburnt ears!
- 6- 7pm – Coastin’ is a brand new show from Stephen Allan and will have features on the big new uk 2018 coasters and a new feature on relocated rides, plus music from Robbie Williams, Elvis, Pink and more!
- 7 – 8pm – #MTTY this month is a Eurovision special, featuring Sandie Shaw, Brotherhood of Man, Johnny Logan, Cliff Richard and others.
- 8 – 9pm This week’s All That Brass delves into the lively history of brass bands in York and further afield – and there’s plenty of music too, from classics to Cuban and from sunshine soul to jazz trad and street in All That Brass with Kate Lock.
- 9 – 10pm – We will be visiting the archives and bringing you a
Soul Show from weeks gone by as Paul Coull can’t
be with us this evening.
- 10 – 11pm – Upside Your Mind takes you on a trip from the
Basement to the Tropics and back – eclectic.
Two Rivers Radio C.I.C is run by a dedicated team of volunteer presenters, producers and technicians. We produce 11 hours of fresh, independent content every week and are looking to expand our schedule.
If you would like to come on board as a producer or a presenter or would like to know about how else you can support this exciting community media project then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally, if you like what we’re doing – please like, share, comment, invite your friends, join us at the Corner Pin for a pint, and follow us on our other social media channels @TwoRiversRadio