On Wednesday 24 January we recorded the very first edition of Ask York, at The Angel on the Green.
The recording of this excellent panel discussion will be broadcast today between 2-3pm and the again between 7-8pm. We hope that you are able to tune in and join the debate. Tweet @TwoRiversRadio using #TRR #AskYork
Massive thanks go to Pete Kilbane for his hospitality and for being a sensational chairman!
Also, we must say a huge thank you to our inaugural panel:
Proff. Kate Pickett – Professor of Epidemiology, University Champion for Research on Justice and Equality, and Deputy Director of the Centre for Future Health;
University of York (also co-author of The Spirit Level: Why more equal societies almost always do better
Paul Healey – Conservative councilor for 8 years up to 2015 and Deputy Group Leader. Small business owner.
Helen Graham – Helen has been working on the My Castle Gateway project and teaches Heritage Studies at the University of Leeds.
Cllr. Jonny Crawshaw – Labour councilor for Micklegate with a special interest in education.
Questions asked and topics discussed include:
- City centre traffic and congestion
- Blue Badge bicycle parking
- What can be done to increase cycling within the city?
- Growing inequality, tax avoidance and the merits/pitfalls of opening up a system of voluntary taxation
- What can be done for young people in the city?
- Micklegate Neighbourhood Forum and how it plans to engage young people.
- The proposal to convert Rowntree Park Lodge into holiday accommodation
- Local business rates and the business rates re-evaluation
- Is there a better method of collecting business rates than the current model?
- Does the panel think that the City of York is loosing its character?
Thank you to Mark Chandler of HMGW for the image of the whole panel.
Thank you also to everybody that came and asked a question
Produced by Kate Lock & Jez Russell
Boom operator: Declan Minskip